Local libraries are one of the best places to take kids for a free outing. Not only can you borrow books, CDs, DVDs, even video games and ebooks, but you can use the computers, do puzzles, and meet up with friends. All of the libraries in the towns surrounding Bedford have community and children’s programming that include free story times, concerts and singalongs, activity clubs, special interest groups, puppet shows, magic shows, live animal exhibitions, crafts, movies, art exhibits, lectures, classes, used book sales, and discounts on museum discount passes. Remember, you are welcome at any local library, regardless of town residency, and once set up correctly your library card should work at all of these libraries in the Minuteman Library Network and the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium.
The Bedford Free Public Library hosts and displays the Bedford Flag, which claims to be the oldest town flag in the United States.
Bedford Free Public Library
- 7 Mudge Way, Bedford, MA 01730
- Phone 781-275-9440
- General Hours: Monday – Thursday 9am-9pm ; Fridays 9am-6pm; Saturdays 9am – 5pm; Sundays (Labor Day – Memorial Day) 1pm-5pm; Closed summer Sundays (Memorial Day – Labor Day). Closed or shortened hours on federal holidays and other (limited) days. Please check the library calendar for more information.
- Acton Memorial Library,486 Main Street, Acton MA.
- Bedford Free Public Library, Mudge Way, Bedford, MA.
- Billerica Public Library, 15 Concord Road, Billerica, MA.
- Burlington Public Library, 22 Sears St., Burlington, MA.
- Cary Memorial Library, 1874 Massachusetts Ave., Lexington, MA.
- Concord Free Public Library, 129 Main St., Concord, MA.
- Gleason Public Library, 22 Bedford Rd., Carlisle, MA.
- Lincoln Public Library, 3 Bedford Rd., Lincoln, MA.
Other Local Venues for Storytimes (mostly free)
- Barefoot Books , 89 Thoreau Street
Concord, MA. 978-369-1770. Daily story time, music and crafts. Check the calendar for scheduling.
- Barnes & Noble, 98 Middlesex Turnpike, Burlington, MA. 781-273-3871. Tuesdays at 10:30 am. Friday nights at 6:30 pm. Plus many visits from children’s authors.
- Harvard Museum of Natural History ,26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA. 617-495-3045 Saturdays and Sundays at 11 am & 2 pm. (free museum admission for Massachusetts residents Sundays from 9am-noon.)
- Henry Bear’s Park , 685 Massachusetts Ave. Arlington, 781-646-9400.
- Pottery Barn Kids, Burlington Mall, Burlington, MA. Tuesdays at 11am. Check the store calendar for other events.