A message from the Bedford Education Foundation (BEF):
Come join the BEF. We meet at 9:30am the first Wednesday of each month, check us out!
BEF Top Ten List
10. We are a volunteer group that includes parents with and without children currently in the Bedford school system, community members and corporate partners.
9, Most of our members have been actively involved in the PTO’s of Davis, Lane, JGMS and BHS, so you may recognize some friends from over the years.
8. There are no membership dues or secret handshakes.
7. We welcome and need new members to continue our mission. Many of our members have children in upper grades or who are ready to move on to college. To stay relevant, we needparents of children representing all grade levels and in particular, we’d like a greater parent representation from the elementary schools.
6. We meet once a month for 75 minutes – starting and ending on time.
5. Our mission is to pilot, encourage and fund the creative and innovative ideas of teachers and administrators that may not be currently implemented in our Bedford schools.
4. We review and award grant requests three times during the year: February, July and October. We support and fund grants for all of the Bedford public schools: Davis, Lane, JGMS and BHS.
3. We have funded 105 grant requests since the Fall of 2008. We piloted grants for SmartBoards, iPads, Robotics, vegetable and herb gardens at Davis and Lane, stability balls, a “green screen” for the BHS communications students (just like they have in major tv stations!), Skype cameras, Nooks, digital microscopes, and many more items that have enhanced the classroom experience.
2. We have awarded $92,755 to teachers since the Fall of 2008. Our funds come from our fundraising events (i.e. Bedford’s Got Talent Show, BEF Winter Bash, Bedford Day Box Lunch Special) and from private and corporate donors.
1. We have a terrific and valuable mission, a committed small core of volunteers with passion who have truly made a difference in the quality of education for our children in the classroom and their talented teachers. All we need is YOU.
For more information see the BEF website: http://bedfordeducation.org/
If you see errors, gaps, things you want added/changed, recommendations, critiques, please send me an email. I’d love to hear from you. If you would like to advertise, post your clubs events, suggest your favorite summer camp, piano teacher or outing location relevant to the BedfordKids community, I’ve love hear about that too.
- Thanks, Jenny.
Join the Yahoo Group
The BedfordKids Yahoo Group was started as a place for Bedford, MA parents to share local events and activities, search for recommendations or advice, start discussions, meet other parents, and celebrate Bedford. Membership is suggested for just parents of children age 0-18 who live in or close to Bedford, MA.
Request and edit membership using your Yahoo Groups account.